Jimmy's South stats were, for 1964, where he had a great season,
League : 18 games (17 starts) 12 goals
Dockerty Cup, 3 games, 1 goal
1965 stats are alas fairly sketchy, here are his pre-South stats.
From the FFV site via smfcboard.
Monday 29 September 2008
I know I said I'd have something on the Southern Cross knock back by today, but the things I was working on got so big, and I got distracted also by my OzFootball Futsalroos work, that my view on the whole thing will inevitablhy be dlayed a little longer.
Can South get third time lucky? :D
So that's that then
FFA Press Release
26 September 2008
The Hyundai A-League is set to expand further with confirmation today that Football Federation Australia (FFA) has granted exclusive negotiation status to a consortium for a second team based in Melbourne for entry into the Hyundai A-League in 2010-11.
FFA CEO Ben Buckley said that the consortium is led by Melbourne businessman, Peter Sidwell.
“We received two very high quality proposals for the second Melbourne license, and we had very good discussions with both consortia.
“We were very impressed with the professionalism and strength of both bids,” said Buckley.
“The level of interest and quality of the proposals reflect the momentum behind the growth and development of the Hyundai A-League,” said Buckley.
The other proposal came from a consortium known as Southern Cross FC.
FFA will now accelerates its discussions with the Sidwell-led consortium.
“We continue to be very encouraged with the level of interest in the Hyundai A-League,” Buckley said.
“The attractiveness of the competition is clearly reflected in the level of interest in the additional licenses and the quality of the bids we are receiving."
Buckley reiterated the FFA’s earlier view that, ultimately, the Hyundai A-League has the capacity to be at least a 12 team competition and possibly 14 teams.
“When and where we expand the competition is measured simply by whether it is right for football, right for the existing Hyundai A-League clubs, right for the new clubs and right for the local community,” Buckley said.
Comments from me on Sunday.
After our update of earlier this week, Neil Zimmerman has come through with some more up to date info for us.
Now who are they and what will it look like? Who knows. But a little piece of the puzzle has fallen, along with some idea of where we are in the project timeline. Forgot to mention also that our reps were meeting with the government reps on Tuesday about this whole thing. No idea oif what's come out of that.
Okay, so someone out there's got a little bit excited. It's a genuine search as far as I know. The FFA have stated that the announcement will be made before Christmas, so just relax, m'kay?
Good news received from the women's team blog:
Women in WPL 2009
It has today been officially confirmed that SMWFC will remain in the WPL for season 2009.
The FFV released its decision, confirming that the eleventh placed team (GSL) would be relegated to State League 1, and no teams will be promoted. The league will be a 10 team competition in 2009.
We can also confirm that both Moris Mihailidis and Matthew Shaw will be continuing in their respective positions as the Senior and Reserve Coaches for the 2009 season. We look forward to building on the groundwork that has been done in 2008 by both players and coaches.
It would have been an absolute travesty to relegate them after putting up a decent fight and some good showings throughout the year after winning promotion. Now they can enjoy their Tracie McGovern Cup trip in Port MacQuarie next month a bit more. And when doI get a chance to defend my trivia night crown of last year?
PAUL McNamee has switched his focus from the domestic to the international, shelving a plan to seek nomination for the Tennis Australia board during next month's first election under its new constitution and instead pursuing the position as chief executive — and possibly chairman — of the men's governing body, the ATP.
A former Australian Open tennis and golf administrator and recently axed head of the Melbourne Football Club, McNamee has already privately expressed his interest in the ATP role being vacated in December by South African Etienne de Villiers. The search is expected to take several months; Tennis Australia board nominations close on Friday week ahead of the October 27 vote.
New York lawyer John McEnroe snr, Sydney-based ATP executive Brad Drewett and veteran American tennis identity Butch Buchholtz have all been linked to the prestigious ATP job, with 73-year-old McEnroe snr having publicly flagged his intention to apply. So, now, has McNamee, who recently canvassed the possibility of succeeding Geoff Pollard as Tennis Australia president. Pollard intends to stay on for a final two-year term.
"I don't think you can be pursuing international positions at the same time as getting involved in domestic politics, so I'm not intending to stand for the (TA) board," McNamee said yesterday.
The former Wimbledon doubles champion said the ATP role would "be a dream for anybody in tennis, the ultimate job, and I've got my energy on that as far as work is concerned — not that I was looking for a job at Tennis Australia, by the way, but until the ATP process plays out I won't be pursuing another formal job here".
De Villiers has served as both chairman and CEO of the ATP, and no decision has been made on whether to continue with that system or revert to split roles. "It's very early days. All we know is there's a vacancy — or two," said McNamee, who is nursing a badly injured left hand that required surgery after an accident dismantling a door earlier this week.
"They've only just started the process of hiring the search firm — all I'm doing, along with everybody else, is expressing an interest.
"I guess I would be pretty hopeful of getting to the interview stage, and once you get to that stage you've always got a chance, but it will be highly sought-after. It's a very important job in the sport, especially with all the changes that are happening now. It will be a plum job for somebody."
McNamee continues to organise — but no longer owns — the Hopman Cup, and is a management consultant of the Southern Cross FC consortium, which is bidding for the second A-League Melbourne franchise.
Tennis Australia's member representatives will elect a president and six other board members at its annual general meeting, with the board then appointing two further directors.
The message on the forum went out, Southern Cross is going to be discussed on the radio, 3XY Radio Hellas to be exact, at 8:30pm. So I switch it on, and hear that they're going to be talking to Aki Ionnas and Johnny A', who actually got the coaching job at Oakleigh don't ya know, replacing another one of our ex-coaches Stuart Munro. Anyway, rather bland interview that, though one had to chuckle when the host was talking about how players were hard to keep at South during Johnny A's time at the helm, specifically mentioning the A-League, but not his current employer's love of taking on anything to do with South Melbourne, player, fan, coach, sponsor, you name it.
Anyway, the following notes were done on the fly for those without 3xy access or maddd greek skillz bro.
Conclusion: It's not South Melbourne, FFA rules need it to be 'broadbased' and based on private capital - talking about the difficulty of being a member run club these days.
Cue Ricky Martin's Maria
It's a bit troubling we have to learn these things by eavesdropping on other people's private conversations... nevertheless, while there's some old info in there, the clarification that the $50 million is for every part of the project - including the reconfiguration of Olympic Park for Collingwood's use - is a little troubling. Are they the only ones getting what they want out of this?
Email from Athletics Victoria President Anne Lord:
This Large Hadron Collider business has got a whole lot of folks worried about the Earth blowing up. Was supposed to destroy us all at 5pm AEST a couple of days ago... and then it turned out that they had only sent particles in one direction, and that the real test involving collision won't happen until the 26th October or something. Which is mirroring the current Southern Cross debate in uncanny ways, if you squint real hard. So far Southern Cross has been sending its 'we want in' particles around the place, and got a whole bunch of people in a spin, and yet nothing's really happened. Is it possible that if they are successful, their ambition colliding with certain people's perceived reality will shatter the earth? Or at least Australian football? Hard to say. Kinda want it all to happen for that reason now, to see us all get sucked into a black hole of endless stupidity. But then I remember that Australian I Can't Believe It's Not Soccer is that black hole, and we should probably move our focus away from Big Bang theories and into areas dealing with Hugh Everett III's Many Worlds Theory, which might explain how fucked up everything is right now and always has been. I dunno, I guess I'm just a bit bored and disappointed with a few people at the moment.
The following was sent to us by everyone's 2nd favourite South Melbourne related journo Bells - the first being South of the Border's very own Cliff, natch - and edited accordingly for extra Hellasification. It's about Kimon and friends promoting the whole Mens Sana In corpore Sano thing, and why not? Good philosophy I reckon.
Two outstanding footballing students, Central Coast Mariners' Andrew Clark and Newcastle Jets' Adam D'Apuzzo, were awarded the inaugural PFA Kimon Taliadoros Scholarships last week in Sydney.
While searching for information on the Futsalroos for Ozfootball - by the way, check out the new improved interface, update your links if you have to - I found this infornation from the 1989 Futsal World Cup. Look how many South players aree involved! Ok, they weren't all South players at the time, some were there, some had gone,
Australia's 1989 Futsal World Cup squad. Were they even called the Futsalroos then? And is that SBS commentator Tim White as coach? Though it's a bit of a longshot, does anybody out there have article, photos, or anything of the our boys in action in this tournament?