Sunday, 28 December 2008
Monday, 22 December 2008
Sunday, 21 December 2008
Wednesday, 17 December 2008
Tuesday, 16 December 2008
Well, after his acrimonious departure from the club, from all reports he went back to the Canadian leagues and he's now retired and begun working for this mob. I have no hard feelings towards him, even though he may have some towards South and some people from South obviously didn't like him. Still, he scored 7 goals in half a championship winning season, and for that we should be grateful.
Monday, 15 December 2008
George Triantos and Leo Athanasakis were on air last night. Now I didn't get to listen to it, but apparently the following things were covered, with thanks to Cuddles for filling us in.
- We're waiting for the government to get back to us on matters regarding the Lakeside redevelopment
- We'll be wearing a commemorative strip next year, based on an old strip from the past
- Potential signings weren't mentioned because 'Aki might be listening', lol
- Apparently the host was rather impressed by the passion and direction the club is going in
Sunday, 14 December 2008
Saturday, 13 December 2008
Wednesday, 10 December 2008
Monday, 8 December 2008
Sunday, 7 December 2008
Kind of like the Festivus 'airing of the grievances'. this entry will look at where South of the Border failed to make an impact, and also did ok. Suggestions and additions welcome. More important stuff tomorrow.
A look back at what worked or went well this year.
- International exposure achieved very early on Bolosepako. Thanks Po Hui.
- Stood up for what is right in regards to the Pumpkins Seed Eaters thing, irrespective of what happened afterwards.
- Lasted for more than a few weeks. Followed by having something new almost everyday during the season.
- Got stuff printed in Das Libero and Neos Kosmos English Weekly, and the official site.
- Kept people in touch with stuff that is largely ignored by the mainstream side of the club's media wing.
- Getting on radio, in another state/territory mind you.
- Got a book of sorts done up. Here's to the future
And what didn't go so good
- Failure to get the point across effectively to the Pumpkin Seed Eaters. You know what I'm talking about. But they're dead now, or in hiding. Or something. I dunno. But I'm not laughing because it may happen here too. Apparently there a few sensitive souls out there who don't like people taking the mickey out of them, or heaven forbid, disagreeing with them verbosely, just being twats. Go figure.
- The lack of a link on The Supermercado Project. Sure, link to Atlanta Falcons malakies, but not to the blog that was inspired by your other blog. Disappointing.
- The lack of almost any outside contributions. I wanted this site to be for all the creative, angry, multi thousand dollar camera wielding South fans to put forward their story; as well those with no talent but far too much time on their hands. This is a chance to put forward their point of view, on their club, in a place where people outisde of smfcboard will see it... maybe they want to complain about the lack of coverage and freedom of speech? Or maybe they're too busy using their free (see sponsor derived via contra deals) Victory tickets. The offer is still there people.
- No ongoing column on Das Libero. The land where associate editorships mean not much and where promises of glory go to die. But then again, the whole shebang seemed to die in the arse, but that wasn't really my fault.
- The semi-disastrous Nearpost radio interview. It could have gone better to be honest, in terems of the what the final product ended up as. Still, nice to have the opportunity.
Thankyou to Ian, Cliff, Paul, Jim, Nats, Neil, Guido, Po Hui, Eamonn, Cuddles, Psile, Tony, John, Michal, whoever the mysterious women's team person was who fed us info, anyone who said 'this doesn't go on the blog', everyone who left a comment, and all those people who got us to 20,000 page views.
Friday, 5 December 2008
For those who can't be bothered reading about monkeys and Jack Daniels Stadium, and who also believe both things they read on the internet and Knights fans (so I guess just me and Cuddles then) the main points are thus.
- They have a large debt (or rather the Social Club does), but made a small profit.
- Coburg owes them heaps for their tenancy at Knights Stadium
- MCF was unhappy with the club being turned away from its Croatian roots/purpose.
- Something about Yugos and Jews.
- Average attendance of 580
- As reported here before, Jim Marinis joining their board
- And perhaps most importantly and interestingly, not one cent has yet been seen from their deal with Dinamo Zagreb. Makes ya think.
All in all, I'd still rather support South Melbourne Hellas. But then again, I'm probably some sort of cigan to them anyway.
So some you want more detail. Seems like initiating helpless infants into fringe Medditerrean cults is more important than turning up to super cereal meetings.
Anyway, we have a new football ops due. Ange Dallas is his name, been arpund the club for like, years man, and we've gone about signing up and re-signing players. Most of our squad seems to have be re-signed or has agreed to terms. This is where we say goodbye however, to Sam 'Rockem Sockem' Poutakidis, whose second stint at the club has come to an end, as he has been released.
Venue management was the big ticket talking point, with an increase on venue hire being made, as well as the prospect of future increases next year. Greg Kaias was also the recipient of some negative feedback, for his Melbourne Hearts thing. And the Lakeside thing is still being negotiated. Chances are we won't play out the entire season at Lakeside.