Friday, 6 August 2010

South taking FFV to Court!

Can I just say, I'm all for this. Whether or not it's popular amongst the plebs out there, from both our own and opposition sides, is not important to me. What is important is that, following the lead of the Whittlesea Zebras last season, who fought the FFV and won, we are apparently taking a stand as well. There is the notion of picking your battles, but sometimes you just gotta go for it and see what comes out of it. The fact the Court has allowed the matter to proceed is a good early sign. The club's media release follows, which I think paints a fairly clear picture of where the club is coming from at least.

Word on the street is that Tuesday or Wednesday will see court proceedings go ahead further after the initial court phase which took place today. Hopefully it's Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday - therefore your correspondent can make it down.

Media Release: South take court action to recover points

Friday, 6 August 2010 3:28 PM

South Melbourne Football Club advises that it yesterday commenced a Supreme Court action against both Football Federation Victoria and Football Federation Australia. The Court action relates to the decision by the FFV Appeals Board on 18 May this year to deduct the Club six championship points for a charge relating to an incident at South Melbourne match against Heidelberg United on 11 April this year when a number of South Melbourne supporters ran onto the ground immediately following the equalising goal in the 91st minute.

The Club had initially been fined $2,500 by the FFV Tribunal for that incident. The Tribunal also ruled that the match score which stood at one all when the match was abandoned in the 91st minute, should be recorded as a three nil win to Heidelberg. At the same time, it banned three South Melbourne supporters from attending any further matches for life.

The Club appealed those three decisions and the FFV Appeals Board made the following decisions:
It set aside the life bans for the two supporters who pursued the appeal and in their place, it banned one supporter until the end of the 2010 season and another supporter to the end of the 2012 season.
It reinstated the match score at one all.
It agreed with the Club that it was not guilty of the offence with which it had been charged.
It substituted another charge for the same offence and deducted the Club six championship points in place of the fine.

The Club was aggrieved at the decision to deduct it six points which it felt was wrong. Since that time, it has worked behind the scenes with the FFA and FFV with a view to having its grievance heard by either the FFV or the FFA or even having the matter referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Agreement was not reached to do so and with the season fast coming to a close, the Club has commenced urgent Court proceedings with a view to resolving this matter prior to the VPL finals series commencing following the final round of VPL matches next week.

The Club will not comment any further on the subject matter of the Court action as it is presently before the Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.