Saturday 10 May 2008

Mixed Bag - SMWFC - Ressies 1-3, Seniors 2-2

So I did make my way down to Lakeside last night to see some football action. Saw part of the first and the whole of the 2nd half of the Ressies game. They'd taken the lead in what I gathered to be an even first half. In the 2nd half they were largely outplayed however, conceding two goals in a minutes to be 1-2 down, and despite improving significantly to the point where they should have equalised, Keilor Park did well enough to add another and kill the game off. Post match the ressies' coach was pretty spot in his comments, telling his team that they were outplayed when they stopped moving, and it was plain to see that the visitors wanted it more, by running in numbers and keeping up the chatter (last part my comments).

Missed the first half of the seniors game, because some people I was with at the game wanted to have dinner, and a sit down dinner with plates and everything, so I was kinda obliged to join them in the unsocial club. Anyway, we caught the 2nd half. It was 1-1 at the break. South copped an early goal in the 2nd half, but managed to equalise midway through said period. Both sides wasted a few chances, but especially South, but credit also to both keepers for doing a good job. One of the people who I was watching the game with was pleasantly surprised with the standard which was good to see, especially considering the two teams are at the wrong end of the table. Shows that the local women's game is gradually getting there. There's still scrappy elements to the game to be sure, but they are amateurs, and I reckon there's been significant progress in the action I've seen over the past 2 and a bit seasons. Overall, good night out, but a missed opportunity to get three points and get clear of the relegation zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.