Last weekend was a perfect end to the season with everyone locked onto futbol24.com on their iphones getting goals as they were happening around the grounds. Yes, there were upsets. Melbourne Knights beating Hume 4-2 meant that Hume finished the season in third position. Springvale shocked everybody with a 3-1 win over Heidelberg which meant the Bergers ended up fifth. Oakleigh drew 1-1 against Dandenong and that got them second spot. All the action however was at SS Anderson Reserve in Port Melbourne where South Melbourne took on Northcote City.
South Melbourne found themselves 1-0 up after one minute, yet 1-3 down after 32 minutes. Two goals in the final three minutes of the first half meant that the teams went in at half time at 3-3. An excellent advertisement for the VPL with a game full of goals, action, and nearly a late winner. Now onto this weeks tips.
Elimination Final - South Melbourne vs Heidelberg United
3pm, Sunday 14th August at SS Anderson Reserve, Port Melbourne
The loser of this match can start planning their end of season trip. After last week's heart stopper at Port Melbourne, teams should fear South in the finals series, and know that they are serious about going all the way. To come back to 3-3 after being 1-3 down against a high scoring Northcote is an excellent achievement. Not many teams can claw back a two goal deficit. The pressure was on early, and the boys responded well. One of the upsets of the round was at Springvale. How they beat the Bergers 3-1 is anyones guess. Rumour has it that Osagie Ederaro’s visa has expired and he has already left the country. I’m not sure how accurate this rumour is, so don’t quote me on it. Final score of this humdinger of a match will be, South Melbourne 4 – Heidelberg United 0.
South Melbourne – Total Points in last five games - 10
- Round 18 Home v St.Albans. W 1-0
- Round 19 Away v Richmond. L 1-0
- Round 20 Home v Hume City. W 3-1
- Round 21 Away v Dandenong Thunder. W 1-0
- Round 22 Home v Northcote. D 3-3
Heidelberg United – Total Points in last five games – 8
- Round 18 Home v Northcote. W 1-0
- Round 19 Away v Melbourne Knights. D 1-1
- Round 20 Home v Green Gully. D 0-0
- Round 21 Away v St.Albans W 4-1
- Round 22 Away v Springvale. L 3-1
6:45pm, Sunday 14th August at Jack Edwards Reserve, Oakleigh
The game with the double chance. Whoever loses lives to fight another day and play the winner of the Elimination Final above. Hume is the most out of form team coming into the finals series. Four straight losses and a win to state league 1 bound Springvale White Eagles. Things look like they are falling apart at the wrong time of the season for Andy Vlahos. Rumours of players being sacked after their loss to the Knights have begun floating around the various forums. Oakleigh beat Hume two weeks ago, and I reckon have enough to do it again. Only problem is Oakleigh hasn’t won a game at home since round 17 against Heidelberg. But it’s finals time and everything changes. Oakleigh also has a record of choking at this time of the season, so I’m tipping this game to go to penalties. Full time 1-1, after penalties Hume progress.
Oakleigh Cannons – Total Points in last 5 games – 7
- Round 18 Home v Melbourne Knights. L 0-1
- Round 19 Away v St.Albans. W 0-2
- Round 20 Home v Richmond. L 1-2
- Round 21 Away v Hume City. W 0-2
- Round 22 Home V Dandenong Thunder. D 1-1
Hume City - Total Points in last 5 games – 3
- Round 18 Away v Springvale. W 1-2
- Round 19 Home v Bentleigh Greens. L 1-2
- Round 20 Away v South Melbourne. L 3-1
- Round 21 Home v Oakleigh Cannons. L 0-2
- Round 22 Away v Melbourne Knights. L 4-2