Thursday 30 October 2008

South of the Border confessional

OK, enough is enough.

We all know there are plenty of present day South fans who, because of the stigma attached to it especially on smfcboard, are reticent to admit or are even fearful of admitting that they go to the Victory, either as a fan of the team or game in general, or who go to games semi regularly as a guest of other people, or who once did and have stopped, or any of the myriad possible combinations therein. This closeted approach is a cancer which blinds us to the reality of who is following our club these days. The pretence and the effort required to sustain the illusion is not worth the effort.

It's high time we had a confessional or amnesty for people to come forward, in safety from being mocked or belittled, where they can freely admit to their truer selves. I would love to see this happen on smfcboard - maybe I'll even be the one to start the thread - but to show that I'm genuine about this exercise, I will open myself up to the healing power of confession, in the hope of encouraging others to come forward and do likewise, and lay their conscience and souls bare for the world, to be free of the weight they carry.

I went to the Victory's 3 pre-season games and every home match of version 1. On a couple of occasions I listened to live radio broadcasts of matches. I have never seen an A-League game on tv, though I do not have Foxtel which makes it easier. I was curious, but by the end it was obvious the whole thing was not for me. The only contact I have had with a Victory game since February 2006 was the South-Victory friendly.

In the ensuing years, I have had offers to pay for my ticket, rationales thrust at me as to why I should accept, and I have rejected them with my entire being. That may work for some but not for all. If it doesn't there need no longer be any shame! This is not for those who have never had contact with Victory to get on their highhorses... but I would imagine there'd be very few people who have not dabbled in some sort of potentially 'poulimeno' behaviour along the wide spectrum available. So I say 'Confess, confess, confess!' And have that unholy weight lifted from thy shoulders. You can do it here if you wish, or you can do it in the darkness of smfcboard. But I beseech thee, for yours and South's sake, end the lies of omission now!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah I went to two of their preseason games (Bulleen and Doncaster) and their Cup game against Ad United at Olympic Park in Season 1.

    Couldn't get into it.

    South Melbourne for Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no issues with fans going to see the victory - afterall we live in a democracy and victory is in a league of its own. Nothing to do with us .....yet

    Personally they make me sick and the new hearts team even sicker. The A-League without smfc is a joke

    F#ck Victory and F*ck Hearts

    "He who sleeps with itchy bum...." you know the rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. went to the Grand Final....

    nuff said

    Manolo from Cuba ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. seen all but about 4 Victory home games -- starting to wonder if I haven't got something better to do

    can't wait for Altona East to get back in the saddle

    ReplyDelete
  5. In season 1, I won a couple of tickets from SEN (I cannot remember what the quiz was about), for Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC.

    I took my friend NikitafromMessenia with me (he made a brief comment on my guest article in April 2015). We went purely as a Sociological/Anthropological experiment.

    Both of us found the experience quite unnerving. We were never in any danger, but the crowd was sort of animalistic in its behaviour. I wonder if it was because it was at Olympic Park? Do their supporters still carry on like that? I have since been to about 4 more games. Every one of those games was for a specific one of reason.

    A Docklands game with my Aussie friends from the Eastern suburbs in season 2, where we were sitting in a box of sorts behind glass. The only thing I remember was Peter Filopoulos sitting in front of me with his son. But my friends probably thought that I would fall into step with the new vision. They knew about my previous rants against the NSL. They are scratching their heads as to why I have not followed through.

    The next game was at the relatively new stadium at Olympic Park, where the Victory were playing the Brisbane Roar under Postecoglou. It ended 3-3.

    And my only other game was this years derby between Heartless and Victory (again with my Easter Suburb Aussie friends). It again reminded me of that game back in season 1 where the crowd exhibited behaviour that irked me.

    Maybe, being of Greek/European background, the whole style of supporting at these A League games with its mix of Boganism and Alcohol has left me unmoved.

    Whereas if I was to go to a local NPL game that South Melbourne was not involved in, I would find that more exciting and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.