Sunday 5 September 2021

At last, Football Victoria calls off (most of) the 2021 season

Ordinarily I'd apologise for the long silence, but frankly there is nothing to apologise for. Nothing was happening until Friday afternoon, so there was really nothing to report. But now there is, and the news is pretty much what we have all expected - the 2021 metropolitan season has been called off for everyone.

For our senior men, that means that the only thing we might have left in 2021 is the remainder of our FFA Cup run, and hopefully some sort of payday against Melbourne City. Assuming that this fixture and the competition as a whole are even a remote chance of going ahead, goodness knows what physical shape our squad would be in. But since the likelihood of the competition progressing still seems very remote, I'll deal with that when it comes.

For our senior women, Football Victoria has held out the possibility of completing the women's state knockout competition. Again, I'd not want to get ahead of ourselves, but it would be nice for them to win something this year, seeing as how they were the best team up until the cancellation of the league season, my complaints about their playing style notwithstanding.

And yes, there have more meetings and chat the national second division, but nothing that I think merits writing about.

In closing, I would summarise this shambles of a year and hand out my meaningless awards, but I'm going to wait until our 2021 season is finished off for good, which should be any minute now. In the mean time, I'll continue to busy myself South-wise by uploading retro South videos - currently my channel is cleaning up the 1993/94 season, and I have enough weekday material to last until early December. Some good stuff coming up in November especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.