- Economics - if you plan to attend a lot of South Melbourne games at Lakeside, it probably makes sense to buy a membership.
- Stickin' it to the New Dawn - pretty self-explanatory this one.
- Supporting grass roots football - weird notion that I can't really get my head around.
- Malice - you need to buy a membership in order to abuse someone on the board. I can understand that feeling.
- Self-loathing - probably a little bit of that for everyone.
- Misplaced hope - mistaken belief that your purchase of a membership in some way helps us with our top-flight ambitions.
- Sense of civic duty - whatever floats your boat I suppose.
- Force of habit - the money seems to just leap out of your bank account at the same time each year.
- Warms the cockles of your heart - that's that just a metaphor or something. It won't work in actually protecting you from the cold during the winter. Better off with a jacket, scarf or beanie kind of deal for that.
- Guilt - you feel you haven't been good to the club over the past few years.
- Hellenisation - You want to take the club back to 1966.
- Broadbased and compelling - You want to take the club to 2066.
- Hellenistic - Like Alexander the Great (the Macedonian general, not that mob on Catalina Street), you want to spread Hellenism to all parts of the world, and see it influence and be influenced by all it comes into contact with.
- Philhellene - You love Byron, but since neither the romantic movement nor poetry have much cultural cachet in Australia, you've ended up with the next best thing.
- Lack of suitable connections - you like soccer, but you also happen to be one of the five people in Victorian soccer who don't have a media pass or season pass allowing you free entry into every ground.
I'm sure that you could all come up with many more reasons for buying or not buying a membership. I'm not going to twist anyone's arm or attempt some sort of emotional blackmail. You either feel it or you don't; or because we live in strange times, perhaps you aren't sure what you feel exactly. That's OK, too. Take however long you need. Seems like good value overall to me; hat, games, vote, nice stadium (binoculars not included).
Two more friendlies coming up
A couple more friendlies have been scheduled. Friday evening we travel to SS Anderson to take on Port Melbourne, while on Monday (the day before Australia Day) we play host to Adelaide Comets.