Tuesday 26 December 2023

So long, Stinktown!

It began like this: I was 24 years old, having just fumbled my way through the first year of a second attempt at an arts degree focusing on professional writing. I came across the defunct Park Life blog, thought I could give blogging a go by taking it over, and ended up creating this site instead. I wanted to practise writing, and I wanted to offer a South fan's perspective on Australian soccer matters that wasn't just foaming at the mouth. Both noble goals, with a self-righteous quality already in place.

When I started South of the Border, blogs as a medium were already on the way out, and Blogger as a platform was looked down upon compared to things like Wordpress. I was slow to adapt to social media, and I wasn't into self-promotion; worse, the content on the blog was lousy, because I had no idea what I was doing. In time, I figured out what I was doing, how to do it well, and this project became worthwhile not only for me, but for other people as well. Eventually this blog and myself with it were set in stone as a niche Australian soccer cultural touchstone by Joe Gorman's Death and Life of Australian Soccer, which I consider an honour.

Sixteen years is a long time to be doing something like this. While running a blog on a once relatively important club often floundering for relevance and survival, I moved house, got a doctoratelost my dad, survived a pandemic, and hosted over 90 episodes of an Australian soccer history podcast. I guested on other podcasts, wrote sleepy stream of consciousness World Cup match reports, and got to do a couple of stints as a special comments man on NPL live streams. So many opportunities opened up because of this blog to talk about South, and what it was like to be a follower of this club.

I wrote my posts mostly on whatever PC I had access to at uni, and at home on two woefully out of date laptops running various iterations of Linux. I did it for no money, and under no pretence that it would lead to something more lucrative. Materially, the best thing that came out of it was access to a media pass, which I was able to use to make going to soccer matches much more affordable. Occasionally someone would shout me a drink, or lunch, but more often than I assumed that's because they liked me enough in spite of the blog.

Psychologically, spiritually, emotionally, however you want to frame it, the rewards were numerous. I felt like I was doing my bit for the cause, in the only way that I really could. I met a lot of terrific people both at South and outside the club because of the blog; sometimes the reaction from people outside the club was more positive than that from within, which only served to nourish my writerly ego. Right from the start I attached my name to this project; for better or worse, the buck stopped with me. 

I always tried to maintain an arms length relationship to anything official with regards to the club. I had little interest in talking to current or even former players. Only one now former coach and his assistant ever stopped for a semi-regular chat, but I didn't resent any of the others for not talking to me, and I never sought them out. I didn't want to be anybody's mouthpiece, and I tried never to claim that my view was the view of a majority of the remaining South fans; often enough, my point of view was quite clearly a minority one. 

South of the Border has covered two senior men's championships and three grand final losses, a Dockerty Cup win, hundreds of South games, and I have no idea how many other matches not involving South. There were women's matches, and so many appearances at pre-season games, sometimes as far away as  Wodonga and Hobart. There were two formal A-League bids, and several failed takeover attempts of floundering A-League teams. South of the Border outlasted two other South blogs, and lived through two unofficial longstanding South supporter forums. Riots, pitch invasions, court cases, Northcote exile, countless crises we always somehow survived. The whole People's Champ saga. Public transport trips that no sane person would make, two interstate trips, and trips that I wish that I could've gone on. That damn social club clock.

And let's not forget, writing up reports on many AGMs; within some circles, they were the most anticipated posts of the year. Again, the goal there was never notoriety - it was primarily a way of trying to get South supporters to engage with the membership side of the club. We brag that we are not merely customers, and we brag that our club has no owners; rather, we belong to the club. Membership is a devalued term when members don't engage with actually being a member beyond match day attendance. I wanted people to engage more meaningfully with the club. Sometimes that took forms that I didn't agree with or approve of, but that wasn't the point.

I tried to cram in as much variety as I could on here. News, opinions, historical materials, even poetry. The history angle is something I've pottered about with on other sites, as I stretched myself thin; a flailing wiki, a promising library site, a YouTube channel that is always hoping for someone to send me new material to upload, and the many match programs I've been sent to put up online in order to try and keep our history alive.

But I am now 40 years old, with about as steady and normie a job as I'm ever likely to have, and more responsibility on my shoulders than when I was able to gallivant around Melbourne's soccer grounds almost at will, typing up reams of prose in my ample spare time. That's what it was like for me for a long time; a career student who didn't study as much he could or should have, with access to more recreational computer time than was healthy for anyone.

That era of free time is gone. As I studied and later taught in Victoria University's Working Class Writing class, writing requires leisure time, as well as time to think. It's one of the most undersold things about undertaking a PhD, that while you're expected to research and you're expected to write, you also find yourself with plenty of time to just sit and think. Within a humanities context, there is a monastic quality to the experience of writing a doctoral thesis that you just don't get as an undergraduate. It was a rewarding experience, but it also drained a good deal of my mental reserves, which I haven't been able to replenish in the ensuing five years.

Self-diagnostic digressions aside, there's no point in shying away from the fact that the blog has been on the slide for a long time. Thus, with some regret, I am wrapping up South of the Border as a regular news and opinion source. I will not be deleting the site, and I will perform maintenance on certain pages. I intend to pop up from time to time with commentary and observations if I feel I can add something worthwhile, but as far as regular updates go, I am done. I just don't have much more left to give, and creating content just for the sake of it doesn't appeal to me. Consider it a form of semi-retirement.

There were always things I could've done better (women's soccer, definitely), times where I could've been more tactful, and other moments where I should have been more fearless. My ethics when it came to moderating comments sometimes let not just me down, but the people who were the subject of those comments. Trust and goodwill is hard to develop, and easy to squander.

I am appreciative of those who chipped in with guest articles, whether regularly or otherwise. My proudest moment for this blog was when I had Steve from Broady, Manny, and the Kiss of Death contributing material regularly at the same time. I can point to many articles of my own that I still think are worthwhile, but I was always at my happiest when there were others in the South community that wanted to do something more creative and permanent than prattling away on social media. That was my loftiest goal, and for a short time circa 2013, I had achieved it. The fact that supporters of others teams started a couple of similar blogs I took as a compliment. 

I've thanked a lot of people in my annual thank you posts, and I'm reluctant to single anyone out now in case I leave anyone out. Suffice to say, if you wrote for South of the Border, left a comment, read, shared, or showed any degree of interest, I'm grateful to you. So, that's it for now. I will still be my sardonic self in Row H. Here's to the season ahead, and the ones after that. Thank you for sharing this journey with me on here, and whatever comes next.

Paul

14 comments:

  1. The only piece of South commentry I look forward to. Thanks for your time and effort..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a tremendous run. Hoping for emergency analysis when the NSD turns into an expensive fiasco.

    P.S - Where happened to the Brazil money?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving us the People's Champ tag.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for your efforts, Paul.

    You were one of the reason's I enjoyed my second stint back as a supporter. You made me feel like this was a different club from what I left.

    (Arguably) a more humble one if nothing else.

    I do not treat the end of this chapter as a loss. Everything you contributed over the past 15 odd years was a treasured bonus.

    And it is good to see that you have not fully retired the blog (I will eventually review that 1986 South v Preston match .... probably on the eve of the 2025 NSD season!).

    Again, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time that you, or anyone else, wants to put up a guest post, I'm happy to accommodate. Hell, if someone was motivated enough to do more than that, I'd find a way to make that work, too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for all your efforts over the year…you did more to keep us engaged than most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your time, effort and passion over the years Paul. Since Covid, unfortunately for even the ‘hardcore’ like me it’s become harder and harder to find the time and energy to get to South games on a weekly basis so can understand your winding down of this blog. I’m probably down to about 50% of games from 90% since covid. Crowds and interest has really dwindled in the grinding hellhole that is the NPL. It’s hard work, so dispiriting nowadays unfortunately. I’ve come to accept that our best days are way behind us. At least I have some incredible memories (I’m 55) that will stay with me forever. The club will always mean so much to me. It felt like a second home growing up. Last year I was lucky enough to go to the World Cup final. Walking to the stadium the atmosphere was absolutely electric, just magical, couldn’t believe where I was. I kind of giggled to myself about the contrast between that and countless walks to a sad, empty and soulless Lakeside I’ve made in the last 15 years, gritting my teeth, hoping just hoping one day the glory days would return. All the best to you Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that it was behind the decision to stop regular posting, but going to Collingwood games over the past couple of years felt like visiting another planet - not just because we've been winning games, or because it was an exciting game style, but because nothing about it felt like work. Somehow a South game has to become somewhere people want to go, but who knows if it's even possible to create the conditions for that.

      Delete
  6. An Italian male was heard to say “Between here and there is better than either here or there!”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartbroken by the end of SotB. I would check in here daily during the season and three to four times per week in the off-season as it was always a great source of news, general info, unique insight and opinion.

    Missing the majority of away games each year, and a few home games, this site was a God-send. The matchday reviews, from an intimately personal fan perspective, were a special connection that allowed us semi-regulars to feel "in" with the every-week supporters.

    All respect to your pulling the pin, Paul. SotB has been a remarkable ride, you should be proud of this long-term project.

    A huge thank you for the effort and hours over so many years. See you in row H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad to hear this. Plenty of non-South fans like myself looked forward to your posts, which speaks volumes. Congratulations on a great knock

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Paul,
    Thanks for the time and effort you have devoted in maintaining the the blog for the last 16 seasons.
    I have always found your writing and analysis to be fair and reasonable. There are 3 sides to every story person a person b and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I always found your posts fair and balanced and the somewhere in the middle between the clubs side and some of our supporters who engage on Twitter or whatever it is called today or other platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Paul, very long time reader - never commented - but your blog has been a must read over that time. All the best for the next season and the seasons after that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Paul,

    Happy New Year.
    Sorry to hear you're hanging up the boots, I have always looked forward to reading your missives on all things South (and not only).

    Catch you around the traps at Lakeside.

    FORZA HELLAS.

    ReplyDelete

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.