Sunday 17 December 2023

2023 South of the Border awards

Player of the year: Javier Diaz Lopez. Probably should have given it to him last year.

Under 21 player of the year: The Cliff Hussey Memorial Trophy has been retired. Token appearances by youth team players doesn't do it for me anymore.

Goal of the year: Jake Marshall turn and volley away against Bentleigh. Shame I wasn't there to see it in person.

Best performance: The 3-0 against Avondale at home. The 5-2 against Port was more viscerally thrilling, but the Avondale game was a more complete performance.

Best away game: Altona Magic away. Missed a few of these this year, but it was a very weak field overall. 

Call of the year: It was the Port home game I think, and I don't know what he was saying to me, but the stuff some random old man was yelling while pointing at me from the concourse at Lakeside must've sounded good to him at least. 

Chant of the year: Probably that stupid chant I started about how we're "going to the NSD, the league for you and me".

Best pre-match/after match dinner location: Pondok Nasi Bakar on Clarendon St, while the grand prix was on, and before I watched the Oakleigh away game on Gains' TV. Again, not much 

Friends we lost along the way: Another umbrella.

Barely related to anything stupidity highlight of the year: Copping the snub/silent treatment throughout the year from old mate. Bloke doesn't realise I've had a past president do this to me repeatedly. I'm too jaded to consider it a badge of honour, but not mature enough not to laugh at how preposterous it is.

3 comments:

  1. What a jaded blog this has become Paul. Such a shame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I should have made my call of the year "100%" - the catchphrase of every South player in every interview.

    ReplyDelete

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.