Saturday 7 November 2009

Gala Ball Tonight - Redux

Or,

I specifically requested no romantic music!



If you're confused by the redux reference, let me explain.

Originally, this entry was one line long. Basically saying, should be great, got my ticket, gonna have a good time. As much of a good time as I usually have. I'm not renowned for smiling.

And then something happened. Something massive.

Somehow, the biggest issue of the night will not be the club itself.

Not 50 years. Not great players, not great coaches, or goals, or memories, or stories or paying dues to those who made this club what it is, the five decades of blood, sweat, tears and corruption.

No.

The biggest issue will be the soundtrack. That's right, the biggest thing to get in a head spin about is the music that will be played on tonight.

Fuck. Me. Dead.

Will there be Greek music? Will there be the right type of Greek music? The right amount?

Oh my god we are this close to selling out the Greek community again! How could the organisers do this!

Whenever I rock up to one of these things - that is, a formal or semi-formal or just plain 'event' with music - I know pretty much from the get go that I won't like any of the music played. I remember my Year 12 Valedictory Dinner, where the only thing played that I remotely enjoyed was the intro to Start Me Up (they didn't play anything more than that - praise to Apollo for Taylors Lakes reception centres). Anyway, here are some solutions I conjured up real quick.

  • Play Harry Lookofksy's Stringsville record on continuous loop.
  • Play the entire Manic Street Preachers catalogue from beginning to end.
  • Get a Lemnian band to play. Because, let's be serious, they made South. Every other Greek should bow to them.
  • Get Frozen Tears to play. A Greek-Australian or Australian Greek singer. He loves the club. May have even played at South in the 1980s in the junior system. Commentated a grand final win for us. The band have a song about the club. That song is available in English and Greek. It's got a naff 80's Van Halen vibe. What's not to like?

Nah, fuck it. Let's be petty and mean. It's so much easier, and it suits our nature.

I weep for Dr. George Triantos and the team who have worked their arse off to provide an experience the likes of which every other pissant club in this state, nay, country, could even dream of. But to conclude on a more positive note. Hope to see some of my loyal fans - and the fans of the club too, I guess - tonight, where we can reminisce and celebrate in the company of our club's greatness. It may be the last chance we'll get with some of these blokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.