The only thing I can think of doing in order to help the club at this present moment is to embrace my inner disgruntled senior citizen and start writing letters, both directly to the Minister For Sport, Hugh Delahunty, and his shadow counterpart John Eren.
If you would like to help, and I encourage all South supporters to do their bit, here's how to go about it, the details of which I've collated from several different sources, but mostly from this excellent site.
- Include your name and address.
- Keep it brief - one page will do.
- Use your own words, not someone else's (this is why I have not provided versions of my letters).
- Handwrite, or type and sign, your letter and post it via physical mail. Emails get deleted easily, and are far more likely to be disregarded. Physical mail is the next best thing to a face to face meeting.
- State the topic clearly.
- Start with a clear statement of purpose.
- Ask the person you are addressing to take concrete action.
- Ask for a response to your letter - this is very important.
- Personalise your letter.
- Personalise your relationship.
- Be polite - which is common sense, surely.
- Thanks is as important as criticism.
- Keep the irritation factor low.
- Sign off with 'yours faithfully'.
Lastly, here are details about how to address different members of parliament, both on the envelope and in the letter. While I won't write the letters for you, I am happy to take a look at drafts and make suggestions and corrections that people send to me. My email details are under the 'contact us' tab.